About Me

Austin, Texas
Well my name is Jason i am from a small town in south Texas called Kingsville. I currently have been living in Austin for the last couple of years now. I am a student at Austin Community College where i am pursing a career inEngineering. I plan to hopefully one day get accepted into the engineer program at the University of Texas. I enjoy just driving my truck around listening to some good music.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Are Banks in trouble?

              The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (F.D.I.C) closed 5 banks recently bringing the total number to 39 for the year.  The F.D.I.C shut down banks in Florida, Georgia and Michigan last Friday, a total of five closures. The F.D.I.C seized First National Bank of Central Florida, based in Winter Park, with $352 million in assets and Cortez Community Bank of Brooksville, Florida, with $70.9 million in assets.  In 2010, authorities seized 157 banks that succumbed to mounting soured loans and the hobbled economy.  Florida and Georgia have been the hardest hit states for bank failures this year.  A total of twenty-nine banks were shut down in Florida last year and 16 in Georgia.  Counting the shutdowns recently on Friday, four Florida banks have been closed this year alone and 10 in Georgia.  It was the most in a year since the savings and loan crisis which happened over two decades ago.  Which makes you wonder if our hard earned money is safer stuffed under our mattresses at home then in our banks?  The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation does insure your money up to a sum of 250,000 dollars if the banks do fail.  With many banks being closed down this early in the year, it does raise awareness of our current economic crisis we are dealing with as a nation.  With our economy still struggling you can guarantee the F.D.I.C will seize more banks by the end of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment